St. Mary's A.M.E. Church

Marker Name

St. Mary's A.M.E. ChurchSt. Marys A.M.E. Church Marker

Marker Location

7451 First St
Addis, LA 70710

Marker Text

St. Mary's A.M.E. Church was founded on September 16, 1888 and erected in 1889. August Levert, plantation owner, donated a tract of land to Albert Henderson to build a church under the doctrines of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Under the leadership of Rev. Lawerence Estavan, the church was built on the River Road within a year and was used by sugar cane field workers for worship. A new church in Addis was constructed and completed on December 12, 1993.